NEW PALTZ, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior Genny Corcoran won the individual championship to lead the Knights to their ninth-consecutive State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Women's Cross Country Championship, Saturday, hosted by New Paltz at the Hudson Valley Sports Dome.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Corcoran crossed the finish line in 22:08.8 to best the 90-runner field by over 47 seconds. It was her third-straight top-10 finish after placing second and eighth the last two years, respectively.
- Junior Mariellen Penzer finished second (22:56.4).
- First-year Windsor Ardner placed fifth (23:15.8) before junior Melissa Graham (23:28.2) finished seventh.
- Senior Annibell Coolican closed the Knights' scoring five with her second-consecutive eighth-place finish (23:37.3).
- First-year Ciara Knott (23:44.6) placed ninth before junior Eileen Reinhardt (24:11.1) rounded out the Geneseo top-seven.
TOP GENESEO FINISHERS (99 finishers)
1. Genny Corcoran 22:08.8
2. Mariellen Penzer 22:56.4
5. Windsor Ardner 23:15.8
7. Melissa Graham 23:28.2
8. Annibell Coolican 23:37.3
9. Ciara Knott 23:44.6
13. Eileen Reinhardt
1. GENESEO 23
2. New Paltz 50
3. Cortland 66
4. Brockport 121
5. Buffalo St. 158
6. Oswego 173
7. Oneonta 200
8. Plattsburgh 233
9. Fredonia 233
10. Potsdam 281
- Geneseo won its 19th championship (all in the last 20 years), three more than any other team in the 36-year history of the race.
- A Geneseo runner won the race for the seventh-consecutive year. and for the 18th time in conference history.
Geneseo will compete in the Atlantic Region Championships on Saturday, Nov. 16, hosted by St. Lawrence