GENESEO, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo fell to visiting Brockport, 3-1 (25-14, 25-20, 12-25, 25-19) in the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Women's Volleyball Tournament Championship match, Saturday afternoon at Schrader Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tied, 11-11, early in the early going, Brockport finished the first set with a 14-3 run to earn the opening victory.
- Geneseo opened a 10-7 lead in the second, but the Golden Eagles bounced back with a 6-1 surge to take 13-11 lead. The Knights battled back to tie the score five times, including 19-19, however, Brockport scored six of the final seven points to take a 2-0 lead.
- Geneseo jumped out to a 14-3 lead in the third that grew to as many as 13 down the stretch en route to the third-set victory.
- Geneseo opened an 11-6 lead in the fourth set, but Brockport responded with a decisive 11-2 run to build a 17-13 lead it would not relinquish. The Knights got within three, 22-19, but the Golden Eagles sealed the match with three-straight points.
- Geneseo (18-12) made its second-consecutive and fifth overall appearance in the SUNYAC Championship match.
- Senior outside hitter Abby May totaled a team-high 12 kills, followed by senior outside hitter Grace Cergol with 10.
- Senior libero Sam Mendelsohn compiled 12 digs, while junior defensive specialist Alexandra Frank added 11.
2019 SUNYAC WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM