BROCKPORT, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior midfielder Sarah Loprieno tallied the Knights' lone goal as they defeated host Brockport, 1-0, on Saturday afternoon. Geneseo earned the top seed and home-field advantage throughout the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Tournament.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo held Brockport without a shot in the first half, but managed just two. Senior forward Domenica Piccoli placed a shot on goal in the 13th minute as the Knights' only first period scoring chance, but it was turned away as the two teams entered halftime scoreless.
- In the 78th minute, sophomore midfielder Holly Moore slipped a pass to Loprieno who finished the play with a go-ahead goal, giving the Knights the lead with under 12 minutes remaining.
- Geneseo staved off Brockport over the final minutes to earn the victory.
- The Knights finish the regular season conference schedule with a 8-0-1 mark, earning the top seed in the SUNYAC Tournament for the third-consecutive season.
- Loprieno tallied her third goal of the season, while Moore recorded her second assist of the year.
- Junior goalkeeper Julia McDonald her fourth-consecutive shutout, with two saves. The Knights have not allowed a goal since Oct. 11, and have allowed just two goals in nine conference games this season.
Geneseo (14-2-1, 8-0-1) receives a bye in the SUNYAC quarterfinals and will host the SUNYAC Semifinals on Wednesday, Nov. 6 with time and opponent to be determined.