GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior attacker Nicole Voci scored four times and assisted three goals as the 16th-ranked Knights defeated 13th-ranked Brockport, 15-12 in a top-25 matchup at College Stadium on Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior attacker Hannah Marafioti scored the Knights' first goal of the season at the 26:33 mark of the first half off an assist from senior attacker Tessa Doody.
- Brockport scored three-straight to take the lead, but Geneseo scored seven of the last eight goals of the first half to take an 8-4 advantage into halftime. Voci led the way with three first-half goals, while senior midfielder Megan Henderson tallied two.
- The Knights continued to put the pressure on coming out of halftime, scoring on the advantage. Senior attacker Jacqui Thorsen netted a free position goal just 2:20 into the frame to extend the Knights' lead to five goals, their largest of the game.
- The Golden Eagles went on a 4-1 run to cut the Geneseo lead to two goals, but back-to-back goals from Henderson and sophomore midfielder Emma Gaenzle kept the Knights ahead, extending the lead to 13-9 with just over 12 minutes to play.
- Brockport cut the lead to two goals once again, but Voci and Thorsen each scored in the final seven minutes to put the game out of reach.
- Junior goalie Margaret Rosaschi made eight saves on twenty shots faced (40%) and added four ground balls.
- Thorsen finished with four goals while Henderson tallied three Gaenzle finished with two scores.
- Marafioti tallied a goal and three assists as seven Knights registered at least one point.
- Geneseo went 2-for-3 on the advantage (66.7%) while holding the Golden Eagles to 1-for-4 (25.0%) with an extra player.
The Knights (1-0) hit the road to face State University of New York (SUNYAC) foe Fredonia (0-1) on Saturday, March 27th at 1:00 PM at University Stadium.