GENESEO N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior guard Natalie Alfieri knocked down six three-pointers on her way to a season-high 28 points as Geneseo defeated the visiting Fredonia Blue Devils, 74-65.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first quarter started slowly until junior guard Lindsay Halpin opened the scoring with a three-pointer. That began a 14-2 Geneseo run that ended with a three-pointer from Alfieri with 4:57 to play in the first quarter.
- At the 6:46 mark in the second quarter, Alfieri knocked down her fifth-consecutive three-pointer to give the Knights a 25-20 lead.
- Fredonia took a 44-43 lead midway through the third quarter. Geneseo then exploded on a 14-0 run to close out the third quarter with a 57-44 lead.
- Early in the fourth quarter, the Blue Devils closed the gap to 61-53 with a pair of free throws.
- With 5:01 left in the game, senior guard Sara Ciotti turned a steal into an easy bucket giving the Knights a 66-53 lead. Geneseo never looked back as they coasted to a 72-64 victory.
- Alfieri made her first five three-point attempts and finished the game shooting 6-9 (.667) from behind the arc. She had not attempted more than six three-pointers all season.
- Alfieri shot a perfect 8-8 from the free throw line for the second time this season (Dec 6, 2019 vs Cortland).
- Ciotti finished with a game-high eight assists as the Knights assisted on 15 out of 25 made field goals.
- Junior forward Kerrin Montgomery totaled her ninth double-digit scoring performance of the season, tallying 13 points.
Geneseo (11-1, 4-1 SUNYAC) looks to continue their SUNYAC success on Friday, Jan. 17 at home against New Paltz at 5:30 p.m.