GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior forward Kerrin Montgomery led all scorers with 20 points as the Knights rolled to a season-opening victory, defeating Hilbert, 83-49, at Shrader Gymnasium Saturday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo scored on each of its first nine possessions to jump out to a 19-2 lead. The Knights led by as many as 24 points in the first quarter and ended the opening frame leading, 33-14.
- The Knights shot 9-for-14 (64.3%) from the floor in the second quarter, led by sophomore forward Megan Roell as she scored six points on 3-for-3 shooting. Geneseo entered the half leading the Hawks, 53-23.
- Geneseo kept the Hawks at bay throughout the second half, leading by as many as 46 points. Senior guard Sara Ciotti finished with a team-high seven assists as the Knights cruised to the win.
- Led by Montgomery, four Knights finished in double-digits as Ciotti and first-year forward Lauren Romito scored 13 and Roell finished with 10 points.
- Romito recorded four blocks and snagged nine rebounds as the Knights outrebounded the Hawks, 48-28.
- Geneseo scored 58 points in the paint and assisted on 27 out of 35 made field goals.
The Knights (1-0) will travel to face William Smith on Tuesday, Nov. 12 at 7:00 p.m.