PLATTSBURGH, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo junior forward McKenna Brooks recorded her fourth double-double of the season with 16 points and 12 rebounds to lead the Knights to a 71-60 victory over State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) rival Plattsburgh on Friday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo (14-1, 9-0 SUNYAC) opened the game shooting 4-for-4 from beyond the arc to build a 19-8 lead, but the Cardinals (5-9, 4-4 SUNYAC) closed the gap, finishing the quarter on a 15-6 run to cut the lead to 25-23.
- In the second quarter, the two teams battled back and forth but junior forward Nicole Kazmarczyk finished a three-point play on the Knights' final possession to give them a 39-34 lead at the break.
- Plattsburgh opened the third quarter with a three-pointer to draw within two points, but Geneseo responded with a 8-2 run to end the quarter, extending the lead to 45-37.
- In the fourth quarter, sophomore guard Sara Ciotti scored all 12 of her points to lead the team as they held off the hosts, outscoring the Cardinals, 24-21, in the final frame.
- Five Knights finished with double-figure scoring as first-year guard Natalie Alfieri and Ciotti each had 12 points, junior guard Kelsey Poplawski netted 11 and first-year forward Kerrin Montgomery had 10.
- Geneseo won the rebounding tally, 39-36, and assisted on 13 of 23 made field goals.
- The Knights have won 16-consecutive regular season road games against conference opponents, dating back to the 2015-16 season.
Geneseo will return to action tomorrow when they travel to Potsdam to face the Bears for a 1:00 p.m. tip.