NEW PALTZ, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior Sean McAneny won his second-straight individual crown to pace the Knights to their sixth-consecutive team title at the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Championships, hosted by New Paltz at the Hudson Valley Sports Dome.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- McAneny covered the 8-kilometer course with a time of 25:28.0 for his third-straight top-10 finish.
- Senior Luke Holtzman placed fourth (25:43.4) before senior Lucas Sutton came across in fifth (25:46.2).
- Sophomore Riley Grossman finished sixth (25:46.8) for the second-consecutive season before junior Matt Sayre placed seventh (25:53.8) to complete the Knights' top-five, moving up from a 13th-place finish a season ago.
- Junior Bradley Farnham placed eighth (25:57.9) before senior Justin Hoelzl placed 10th (26:06.1), improving one place over last year's 11th-place effort.
TOP GENESEO FINISHERS (116 total finishers)
1. Sean McAneny 25:28.0
4. Luke Holtzman 25:43.4
5. Lucas Sutton 25:46.2
6. Riley Grossman 25:46.8
7. Matt Sayre 25:53.8
8. Bradley Farnham 25:57.9
10. Justin Hoelzl 26:06.1
1. GENESEO 23
2. Oneonta 50
3. Brockport 94
4. Cortland 125
5. New Paltz 140
6. Fredonia 171
7. Buffalo St. 203
8. Plattsburgh 208
9. Oswego 234
- Geneseo won its 18th championship in the 57-year history of the race, four more than any other team in the league.
- The title was also the Knights' 10th in the last 11 seasons.
- A Geneseo runner has won the individual title in nine of the last 11 seasons and 12 times overall.
- McAneny is the fourth Knight to win multiple individual championships, joining Ted Turner '05 (2003, 2004), Lee Berube '12 (2009, 2010, 2011) and Isaac Garcia-Cassani '18 (2015, 2016, 2017).
- Grossman was also tabbed the SUNYAC Elite 20 Award winner for having the highest GPA (4.00) of all the competitors.
Geneseo will compete in the Atlantic Region Championships on Saturday, Nov. 16, hosted by St. Lawrence