GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo first-year forward Eren Aydin scored his team-leading third goal of the season but the Knights fell to visiting RPI, 3-1, on Saturday afternoon at College Stadium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Engineers opened the scoring in the 39th minute of play, as the Knights entered the halftime break trailing, 1-0.
- Early in the second half, senior back Caleb Murthy played a long ball over the top of the RPI back line. Aydin ran the ball down, beat a defender and slotted it past the keeper to the far post, leveling the game, 1-1.
- RPI responded with goals in the 76th and 81st minute to take the lead and held Geneseo over the final minutes.
- The Knights outshot RPI, 13-10, while the Engineers earned four corner kicks and Geneseo earned three.
- First-year goalkeeper Will Price made five saves for the Knights.
- The Knights celebrated the 15th anniversary of the 2004 Geneseo Men's Soccer team. The 2004 squad earned the Knights' first SUNYAC Championship and NCAA Tournament berth, advancing to the NCAA Final Four.
Geneseo (4-3-0) opens conference play on Friday, Sept. 27 with a trip to Oswego for a 4:00 p.m. kickoff.