READING, Pa. - SUNY Geneseo first-year forward Eren Aydin scored his first collegiate goal in the 88th minute to propel the Knights to a 2-1 victory over host Penn State Berks on Wednesday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore forward James Perrone opened the scoring in the 28th minute with his first career goal as he broke away from the Nittany Lion defenders and chipped a shot over the keeper to make it 1-0.
- The Knights surrendered their first goal of the season in the 47th minute to tie the game. First-year goalkeeper Will Price made the initial save but couldn't control the rebound before it was finished by a Berks forward leveling the score, 1-1.
- With just under three minutes remaining, senior forward Bryan Wager beat a defender on the left flank and fired a cross to the back post where Aydin finished the play, beating the keeper for the game-winning goal.
- Geneseo begins the season with a 2-0-0 mark for the first time since 2016, and just the third time in the past 10 season.
- The Knights outshot Penn State Berks, 15-8, including a 9-4 advantage in the second half, and recorded six corners while holding the Nittany Lions to just one.
- Junior back Greg Hyde earned his first career start as a season-high 20 players saw the field for the Knights.
Geneseo (2-0-0) will return home to face Clarkson on Saturday, 7:00 p.m. at College Stadium.