GENESEO N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior forward Joey Vucic scored the winning goal in the 61st minute as the Knights defeated visiting Saint John Fisher, 1-0, Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo's (8-7-2) best scoring chance of the first half came when senior midfielder Nick Keneally rifled a shot from the edge of the 18 yard-box that forced a save out of Cardinals' junior goalkeeper Joe Catalfamo.
- Geneseo nearly took the lead in the 52nd minute when sophomore forward Bryan Wager played a pass to Vucic whose effort was saved off the line to keep the match scoreless.
- With 29:20 remaining in the second half, Vucic scored during a rush on the Saint John Fisher net, collecting a loose ball that deflected off a Cardinal defender and shooting into the bottom-left corner of the net to give the Knights a 1-0 advantage.
- Geneseo out-shot Saint John Fisher (7-5-4), 18-7, including an 11-4 advantage in shots on goal.
- The Knights have been involved in five consecutive one-goal matches, posting a 2-3 record over that span.
- Vucic's goal was his team-leading seventh of the season.
The Knights return to action on Saturday (Oct. 28) traveling to Buffalo State for a quarterfinal match in the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Tournament at 1 p.m.