GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo sophomore midfielder James Pratt totaled four goals and four assists, but it was visiting Cortland slipping away late for a 13-10 win over the Knights in State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) men's lacrosse action, Wednesday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Cortland opened a 4-0 lead after 15 minutes of play before Pratt put the Knights on the board at 13:54 of the second period.
- The Red Dragons (8-4 3-0 SUNYAC) retook a four-goal lead, 5-1, with 10:45 on the clock but Geneseo tallies by first-year sophomore midfielder Jake Bucci at 9:27 and sophomore attackman Connor Griffin at 3:58 pulled the Knights within two, 5-3, heading into halftime.
- Sophomore attackman Tim Fallo cashed in a Pratt assist 21 seconds into the third quarter to make it a one-goal game, 5-4, but Cortland notched back-to-back tallies to re-build a 7-4 edge with 11:50 left in the period.
- Geneseo pieced together a 5-2 run to tie the game, 9-9, heading into the fourth quarter. Griffin scored off a Pratt pass at 9:26, before the Red Dragons answered at 8:50.
- Back-to-back Pratt goals in a minute-span pulled Geneseo within a goal, 8-7, with 5:52 on the clock. Cortland scored at 3:13, but a Fallo goal with 15 seconds on the clock and Pratt's fourth tally as the quarter expired tied the game after 45 minutes of action.
- Cortland put together a decisive 4-0 in the first 12 minutes of the fourth quarter to lead, 13-9, with 3:09 left in regulation. Bucci scored with 24 second left in the game to close the game.
- Cortland finished with a 21-4 face-off advantage while out-shooting the Knights, 44-36
- Knights' junior goalie Tyler Wetzel finished with 17 saves.
- Geneseo senior midfielder Jack Centor scooped a team-high four ground balls, but the Red Dragons ended up with a 38-20 advantage in ground balls.
Geneseo is off for 10 days before traveling to Oswego next Saturday (Apr. 20) for a 12:00 p.m. face-off with the Lakers