GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo senior forward Andrew Romano scored a goal and added three assists as the Knights defeated Potsdam, 7-0, in the semifinal round of the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) Tournament on Saturday night at Ira S. Wilson Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior forward Conlan Keenan quickly got the scoring started by burying a power play goal 2:03 into the game. Sophomore forward Brendan Miller added a goal of his own before the first period ended.
- Just 47 seconds into the second period, Keenan scored his second power play goal of the game, assisted by Romano and sophomore defender Chris Perna.
- After junior forward Gordan Helmuth made the score 4-0, junior forward Devin Brink finished a breakaway to create a 5-0 lead. Junior forward Dan Bosio and Romano built a 7-0 lead before the second period ended with one a goal each.
- In the third period, junior goaltender Aaron Mackay made 14 saves, finishing with a career-high 30 saves, to earn the shutout and 7-0 victory.
- Mackay earned his second career shutout and his second in his last three appearances.
- Romano leads NCAA Division III hockey with 55 points this season.
- Keenan and Romano are now tied with 170 career points each.
- The Knights are now 16-0-1 when scoring the first goal in the game.
Geneseo will host its third-consecutive SUNYAC title game on Saturday, March 7th at 7:00 p.m. The Knights will face the winner of Oswego and Plattsburgh, scheuled to play on Tuesday, Mar 3rd in the opposite SUNYAC Semifinal.