GENEVA, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo first-year forward Dan Bosio totaled a goal and two assists to lead the Knights to a 4-2 victory at Hobart in the first-round of the NCAA Division III Tournament, Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo got on the board just under two minutes into the game after Bosio slid a puck on the Statesmen net that made its way to senior forward Sotiri Athanasopoulos for a finish inside the right post at 18:05.
- Sophomore forward Joe Serpico scored on a shot from the right face-off circle off another Bosio feed that staked the Knights to a 2-0 lead at 14:54.
- Geneseo built a three-goal lead after Bosio tipped a shot out of the air inside the right post with 7:24 remaining, before Hobart got one back with 13.3 seconds left to make it a 3-1 game at the second intermission.
- Hobart (18-6-5) made it a one-goal game less than three minutes into the third, but first-year forward Carson Kelley finished an odd-man rush off a feed from junior forward Arthur Gordon with 4:52 left in regulation.
- Geneseo won a first-round game for the third time in the last five years. The Knights also defeated Nichols, 3-2, in 2014 and Salve Regina, 7-1, in 2016. Tonight's victory was also the first NCAA Tournament road win in program history.
- Junior goalie Devin McDonald was credited with 36 saves for his second-highest total of the season (41, 4-3 loss at Fredonia Nov. 4). He also eclipsed his previous NCAA-high 31 in the squad's 3-2 victory over visiting Williams in the 2016 second round.
- Geneseo improved to 18-2-3 this season when scoring first and 15-1-3 after holding a lead at the end of the first period.
- The Knights (20-5-3) earned their 20th victory of the season for the seventh 20-win campaign in the 43-year history of the program as well as their third in the last five seasons.
Geneseo (20-5-3) will host Colby in an NCAA Tournament Second-Round game next Saturday (March 17) at 7:00 p.m. Colby defeated the University of New England, 4-2, in the night's other first-round action.