GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior defenseman Duggie Lagrone posted three assists in his first game in a Geneseo sweater while sophomores Devin Brink and Tyson Empey tallied two goals apiece as the Knights rolled to a 6-1 victory over Neumann on Friday night at Ira S. Wilson Arena.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo (1-0-0) opened the scoring with a power-play goal just over 12 minutes into play. Junior defenseman Mitch Ferguson began a build-up from the defensive zone, finding Lagrone on the right side of the blue line. Lagrone entered the offensive zone and snapped the puck in front to a streaking sophomore forward Conlan Keenan, who deflected it over the goalie's glove to make it 1-0.
- Neumann (0-1-0) tied the game just over five minutes later with a goal on a quick counter-attack, making it 1-1 as the two teams skated off for the first intermission.
- Empey netted both of his goals in the second period, the first on a power play and the second, a slap-shot from the high slot that beat the goalie glove-side, making it 3-1 after the second period.
- First-year forward Carson Kelley scored his first career goal in the third period, followed by two scores from Brink as the Knights pulled away from Neumann.
- The six goals are the most scored by Geneseo in the season-opener since Nov. 1, 2013 when the Knights beat Morrisville, 6-3.
- With a goal and two assists, Keenan has registered nine points in his last four games, dating back to last season.
- The Knights have won four of the past five season-openers, posting a 4-0-1 record since the 2013-14 season.
- The victory improved Geneseo's record to 16-6-4 over Neumann in 26 meetings.
The Knights will play host to Nazareth on Saturday night with puck drop scheduled for 7:00 p.m.