GENESEO, N.Y. - SUNY Geneseo junior forward Alex Merhige finished with 17 points and added 10 rebounds but the visiting Blue Devils rallied in the final minutes to defeat the Knights, 64-62, on Tuesday night at Schrader Gymnasium.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Fredonia led by as many as five points in the first half, taking a 22-17 advantage with 12:46 to play, but the Knights evened the score when first-year guard Harrison Dignan buried a driving layup two minutes later.
- Geneseo took a 33-32 lead with 2:13 remaining but the Blue Devils finished with a 5-0 run to end the half, taking a 37-33 lead into the halftime break.
- The Knights battled in the second half and regained the lead with 12:21 to go when first-year guard Aaron Davis finished a putback layup to give the Knights a 48-47 lead.
- Davis' bucket came as part of a 13-0 run, as the Knights took off for a 56-47 lead, their largest of the game.
- Fredonia responded with a 10-0 run of their own to gain a 57-56 lead with 4:26 remaining.
- Merhige sunk a pair of free throws to tie the game, 62-62, with 42 seconds left but Fredonia hit the go-ahead bucket with 25 seconds to play and the Knights missed on their final opportunity.
- Merhige recorded his first double-double of the season while junior forward Joseph Harclerode added 13 points, sophomore guard Michael Gannon added 12 and sophomore guard Elijah Wingfield scored 11.
- Geneseo shot 22-for-47 (46.8%) from the floor and recorded assists on 15 out of 22 made field goals.
- The Knights outrebounded the Blue Devils, 28-26, but committed 14 turnovers while the Blue Devils turned it over just 11 times.
Geneseo (4-8, 1-4 SUNYAC) will host New Paltz on Friday at 7:30 p.m.