GETTYSBURG, PA. - SUNY Geneseo senior guard Terrance Nichols scored 20 points and added nine rebounds as the Knights shot past Wilson, 92-56, in the opening round of the Gettysburg College Tip-off Tournament in Gettysburg on Friday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Knights grabbed an early lead as junior forward Alex Merhige hit a three and sophomore guard Michael Gannon added a fast-break layup to put the team ahead, 12-7. Wilson responded with a 17-9 run to take a 24-21 lead with just over eight minutes to go in the first half.
- Nichols and sophomore guard Elijah Wingfield combined for nine points in the final eight minutes of the half as the Knights closed the period on a 14-5 run to take a six-point led into halftime, 35-29.
- In the second half, Geneseo shot 20-for-31 (64.5%) to rocket past the Phoenix, outscoring them, 57-27, in the period.
- Geneseo scored its most points in a game since Feb. 3, 2018, when they defeated Brockport, 105-78.
- Sophomore guard Elijah Wingfield scored a career-high 13 points while Gannon added 12 and junior forward Joe Harclerode notched his first double-double of the season with 12 points and 12 rebounds. First-year guard Aaron Davis added 10 points as the Knights had five players in double-digits.
- Senior guard Terence Rogers tallied a season-high 10 assists while Merhige added 10 rebounds and three blocks.
- Sophomore forward Jackson Gonseth made his Geneseo debut with an eight-point performance on 4-for-4 shooting.
Geneseo (1-1) will face host Gettysburg in the championship game of the Gettysburg Tip-off Tournament on Saturday at 4:00 p.m.