ALFRED, N.Y. – SUNY Geneseo senior guard Kevin Crockett scored a team-high 15 points while sophomore forward Tommy Eastman added 14 points and nine rebounds, but it was host Alfred taking down the Knights, 86-75, Tuesday night.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Geneseo put together a 10-0 run, including back-to-back three-pointers by junior guard Quinn Carey, to build a 14-7 lead with 12:26 on the first half clock.
- The Knights held an 18-15 lead at 10:20, but the Saxons went on a 16-5 run over the next six minutes to forge a 31-21 edge.
- An old-fashioned three-point play by Geneseo senior point guard Charlie Zaepfel kicked off an 11-4 run that pulled the visitors within three, 35-32, at halftime.
- The Saxon lead ballooned to 49-34 in the first three minutes of the second half during a 14-2 run that included four three-pointers.
- Geneseo battled back within nine, 64-55, on a pair of free throws by sophomore forward Sean Crowley at 9:05, but Alfred re-took a 15-point edge, 71-56, with six minutes left in regulation.
- The Knights got back within nine on two other occasions down the stretch, but it was the hot-shooting Saxons, riding a 15-of-30 performance from three-point range, that earned the victory.
- Junior guard Zack Panebianco finished with 13 points, while Carey netted 12 for the Knights
- Geneseo converted a season-high 24 free throws, while Alfred was whistled for 31 personal fouls.
- The Knights out-rebounded the Saxons, 42-32, but recorded only 12 assists while Alfred posted 21.
Geneseo hits the road to kick off the State University of New York Athletic Conference (SUNYAC) portion of the 2017-18 slate, taking on host Oneonta on Friday (Dec. 1) at 7:30 p.m. before traveling to New Paltz on Saturday (Dec. 2) for a 3:30 p.m. tip-off.