ERIE, Pa. - SUNY Geneseo senior midfielder Kevin McGrath buried a goal in the 61st minute of play to break a 1-1 tie and deliver the Knights a victory over Baldwin-Wallace College, 2-1, in the team's season opener on Saturday afternoon as part of the Herb Lauffer Memorial Soccer Tournament in Erie.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore forward Bryan Wager opened the scoring with a bullet to the side-netting in the 13th minute to give the Knights a 1-0 lead. Junior midfielder Gavin Gleasman earned an assist on the play.
- Baldwin-Wallace responded with a game-tying goal in the 59th minute when Joey Geither scored on a sliding attempt to level the score.
- Only 2:17 later, senior midfielder Reidis Lata collected a pass inside the 18-yard line and laid a nifty back-heel pass to McGrath who ripped a one-timer to the far post for a goal, giving Geneseo a 2-1 lead with 29:22 to play.
- Geneseo outshot Baldwin-Wallace, 17-9, while sophomore goalkeeper Dillon Medd earned the win with four saves.
- The win marks the third consecutive season-opening victory for the Knights, who have not lost their first game of the campaign since 2014.
- McGrath's goal marked his fourth career game-winner, the most among active Geneseo players.
- Lata recorded his seventh career assist and his first since the 2015 season.
Geneseo (1-0-0) will take on hosts Penn State-Behrend in the championship match of the Herb Lauffer Memorial Soccer Tournament on Sunday at 2:30 p.m.